CSA complaint.

CSA Child Support Complaints Forum

How Can I Help?

To help bring change to the child support system, please go to this Child Support YouTube Channel, subscribe, and hit the notification bell.

We're trying to grow the channel to help raise awareness of how to better support Australian children. The more subscribers, the better the chances of politicians noticing. Thanks.

From the Child Support YouTube Channel:

Child Support Recommendations

Family Law Inquiry: Interim Report

When parents ignore court orders

When parents don’t lodge tax returns

50:50 shared care

“Extra Care” formula

1685 Responses

  1. Holly
    | Reply

    Hi There,
    My ex has recently become bankrupt as far as I know he is employed but cannot pay his child support. Is there anyway I can notify centrelink or CSA of this so that my FTB is not reduced for money I am not receiving?
    Thanks so much.

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Government agencies can only go off official information, such as the amount you have received or the amount you should receive under an assessment. You can’t affect those things here.

  2. Brooke Irwin
    | Reply

    I have a question regarding who is responsible for costs if I pay child support to my ex husband due to 50/50 care arrangement.
    I earn more money and as such am supposed to pay him child support. CSA do the calculation each year under Private agreement.
    However when we divorced we agreed I wouldn’t pay child support as I would simply continue to pay for all of the expenses for my son including private health, clothes, school fees, medical expenses and activities. These can be quite high as he has a disability.
    My ex husband has now advised me he is going to start claiming child support as he has been out of work since May and is struggling to pay his bills. I’ve even been having to buy food for my son when it’s his fathers custody time as I don’t want him to starve.
    The issue I have is he wouldn’t contribute to our sons expenses even if he’s getting child support. What can I do in this situation as I can’t afford to do both.

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      As I’ve complained about many times before and lobbied for change, we have a child support system where one parent is responsible for looking after the other parent. That’s despite parents trying to separate and move on with their own individual lives.

      The father is entitled to receive child support if he asks the bureaucrats to collect it for him. And there’s little you can do about him then not paying for things.

      Certain expenses can be claimed such as private school fees and large medical expenses. But, even here, “ability to pay” is a consideration when case officers look at how much each parent should contribute.

  3. Allison
    | Reply


    My ex has reported $70k income to tax office. I am aware that it is 3-4 times this but he is diverting through a private sole ownership company.

    I’ve let it go for 5 years, but he’s starting to complain that he’s paying too much as he wants to buy a new car, furniture …. Meanwhile I don’t even have a car anymore as I couldn’t afford to repair it or replace it when it died. We haven’t finalised our divorce due to complications with properties, so he is also holding this over me.

    I want to expedite the divorce, but again, I can’t afford to pay for a lawyer.

    Is he required to declare to CSA what he is earning through his private business?

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Personal income and business incomes are different things. Child support is based on personal income, which depends on how much a business owner pays themselves. For example, a business could be profitable and accumulate cash while the owner only draws a small amount of this (as dividends or salary and wages) for personal use.

      Child Support can look at business income as part of a Change of Assessment. But they may not get very far if the parent doesn’t cooperate in handing over business-related information.

  4. Tim
    | Reply

    Been alienated from my daughter for the past two years, with CSA making it easy for the ex to achieve paying 100% costs and having zero contact with her.When she turns 18 can the ex keep making me pay? By making it so easy for the ex to alienate father’s from their kids it appears they want depressed father’s to suicide.

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Child support ends when a child turns 18, though may be continued until they finish Year 12.

  5. Ali
    | Reply

    Wife has lodged separation under one roof, I have 7 kids (one is 19) the rest all under 17 years, I work full time, I pay for all expenses including school fees, books uniforms, laptops, PC, She started receiving her allowance as separated parent and I give her cash weekly $300 for grocessors, Should I apply for child support, she shares the household work with my daughters, she found cash job, and takes money from the eldest daughters they work at MacDonald, like most students, What should I do now, should I apply for child support I am receiving parenting payment A only. Is it worth?

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Are you actually separated? If so, there’s more to this than welfare payments.

      Bear in mind that child is based on incomes and not spending. If you apply for child support and have the higher income, you will be the one paying.

  6. Jase
    | Reply

    Hi there, just after some advice in regards to my care with my kids and child support.
    Been separated now almost 5 years and a shift worker. Due to working weekends I am unable to do a 1 night per week or fortnight though do have my kids on all of my weekends off which is 4 in a row and then I work 2. Over the 4 weekends the nights of care equate to 7 nights. I then have them for a week or 2 during school holidays over the year so my nights of care easily jump over the 52nights minimum for a percentage change and up to 65 nights yet my ex won’t agree to a care change and I’m still paying for 0% care which is just over $600 per fortnight for 2 kids under 11. I pay half the school fees for them to go to a private school, pay half of their swimming lessons and half towards specialist medical costs all of which I have been happy to pay and then all the extra costs when they are in my care. I am now being asked to buy their school shoes and sports runners for school. I have disagreed with getting their shoes because I feel I am already contributing more than my fair share but being told these are costs I should bare as a parent. Are they extra costs I should bare?
    Am I already paying my fair share?
    Am I paying too much / not enough or am I being taken for a ride? When it comes to all this I just don’t know what my rights are and where do I stand with my care arrangements. How can I have the care arrangement changed to coincide with what the care actually is and made so that she can’t just cancel days when it suits which she has done for the whole of Jan school holidays and cancelled all my weekends with them so now have to wait a month to have them overnight again.
    Surely this isn’t right!
    Just don’t know who to actually discuss this with properly to get the right information.

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Care percentages are based on the ongoing arrangements for overnights per year. If you officially have less than 1 night a week care, you’re not expected to pay for things like shoes and swimming lessons. But there are no rules around this. Also, bear in mind that no-one is forcing you to pay and normally the primary carer just gets lumped with the costs.

      You are up for half of school fees now because you agreed to it.

      Without a firm agreement about parenting time, you are in a tricky situation. Everything is a negotiation and it sounds like the mother has the power. Can’t really give much more advice because, if you push too hard, you and the kids could lose out.

  7. Mark Andrew Tangney
    | Reply

    My second question and I’ve only just found this site (sorry).

    I noticed that there is a family law review section on your YouTube channel.

    I lost pretty much everything in my divorce because the woman I married (who it turned out never actually went to uni and had no earning potential) worked as a children’s song and dance instructor while I had a pretty good salary.

    Family Law (or the mediator that referenced it) said I would always have that income so the assets were split on that basis. She got pretty much everything. Two weeks after settlement I was told the organization I worked for was restructuring and that if I didn’t have a STEM qual then I could only stay on if I was female. My background is in finance.

    The employer wants to take their female numbers to 50% and are aiming at the outcome rather than the opportunity. Apparently its called ‘positive’ discrimination. The organization is applauded for it by the gov and the public and it is helping their ‘social license’.

    Is positive discrimination and a review of assumptions around continued earnings potential something the family law review is considering? If I was female I’d still have the income, but I’m not. So I ended up with no assets and no income either. I’ve begun rebuilding but its been slow. I had a casual job last year but wasn’t in the role for 12 months when the pandemic hit. I’ve now ended up moving to the other side of the country to find secure work. Ironically its materially affected a female Australian – my daughter.

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      There’s loads of ‘positive’ discrimination in the family law system. But, let’s face it, any form of discrimination could simply be called ‘discrimination’.

      The Family Law Review has tackled discrimination issues to an extent. We’ll see what happens when they report in March.

      Basically, they’ve heard from men pleading to be treated as human beings who are needed by their children.

      At the same time, the Inquiry has heard from numerous government-funded women’s groups demanding that any changes can only be in the direction of protecting women from male-perpetrated violence and abuse. Many of these women’s groups seem disinterested in protecting children given the fact that children are statistically safer when their biological father is around.

      One of our proposals to the Inquiry is that courts be required to consider the earning capacity of parents when making parenting time orders. The idea is to stop courts (falsely) assuming that, because of child support, the higher earning parent can be marginalised without financial harm to the child.

  8. Mark
    | Reply


    My ex and I have recently moved to an arrangement where she is recognized as having 100% as I’m on the other side of Aus working. I haven’t been able to get back into WA.

    From time to time she drops our daughter with my parents. My parents see their grandchild quite a bit (she’s a bit of a favorite) but its less than 52 days per year.

    My parents are pensioners. My father has Parkinson’s disease. They need some financial support when they are looking after my daughter.

    My ex expects me to to pay my parents what they need, in addition to paying her for the same period of time while she doesn’t have the child. Child Support Agency say this is fair because the grandparents have the child less than 52 days per years. But the outcome is that with the higher amount now being paid to my ex on top of regular living expenses I am struggling to help my mum and dad out, I don’t think I can. It looks like they will have to bear the costs themselves, meaning when my daughter is with them they really can’t do anything or go anywhere.

    Do grandparents have any rights in this situation? Can they ask my ex who receives maximum benefit due to saying she looks after the child 365 days per year for a contribution and be backed in anyway by a court of law?

    I pay my ex about $40pd for the child. My parents say they need about $25pd to help them out when she stays with them, so the ex would still be pocketing $15pd while my daughter is with them.

    I’d really like some advice. It looks like the outcome here will be either my parents suffer financially, or the relationship with their granddaughter ceases.

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      The advice you’ve been given from CSA is correct. This is not a matter to be dealt with through the child support system. While I disagree with the formula, there simply is no credit for care time under 1 day a week.

      Your grandparents (and you) can spend whatever you want on your daughter for the less than 1 day a week that she is with them. You wouldn’t seriously give up that time because of a small amount of money? Frankly, I’d just let this go and try to help out your parents to the extent that you can.

  9. Vibhuti
    | Reply

    Hi my name is vibhuti .
    And me and my ex got divorced in 2018 and before that we got separated in 2017 because he was domestic violence abuser and i got VRO on him to protect myself and my son. Because of his fake promises and taking helping hand from relatives I took the orders back to give him second chance but he dogged me again.he served me divorse papers without letting me know. He was never engaged with the child till now.he never paid any child support never did anything which a father should do time to time. Now I married again to a wonderful man and he wants to get parental responsibility as well as want to adopt my son legally. We send an email from our lawyer to my ex about it which is a part of procedure but all of sudden from nowhere he said that he want to meet my child.
    Is it possible a man who was domestic violence abuser who wanted to ruin my as well as my son’s life in every possible way will get any opportunity to get to see my child. He already have a nice man as a father to look after. We have to apply for parental responsibility for me and my current husband for the best interest of the child and to protect him from that man .can we get a parental responsibility?.
    And what should I do that my ex cannot get success in seeing my child ever.
    Plz tell me

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      This is a question about parental responsibility and parenting time.

      Sorry to tell you, but your new partner is not the boy’s father. You seem to be trying to wish away the biological connection between father and son. That can never be deleted or replaced.

      The legal processes will have to play out. Judges normally try to find a way for some contact to be maintained between a parent and their child.

  10. Davin
    | Reply

    Why am I punished ?
    Had debt of 10500.00 dollars to child support, not child support or Centrelink told me I had to pay extra 16 dollar s a week to cover my account , so I had been coping late fees etc I sorted out the 10500 and got waivered back to 8000 dollars , put tax return in , Child support took 11500 dollars out of my tax return tax agent took 1200 I was left with 835 dollars out of 14000 grand . Tell me where the fairness is this child support service to a father who got divorced by the daughters mother who got her permanent visa divorced me while I was away working talk about getting stuffed over where’s the rights for me I guess. I gave 100 percent custody thinking I was doing the right thing , all I can say you wonder why men kill themselves. You think all men want to avoid child support – no some guys don’t but getting put down kept down in debt by this system cost me more than money cost me jobs and living in a tent in a caravan park with no fan or aircon in 40 degree heat days and you wonder why men commit suicide. Like Centrelink robodebt child support needs a audit too the whole system is bent and benefits no one but destroys families so not only I’m in poverty so is my child and don’t get me started on my second marriage where child support never consider that equation so I say thanks for the hardship and the ruin of my second marriage. For the debt you put me in well done bunch of goody two shoes morons

  11. Shaun Ahmed
    | Reply

    Mandatory child support does not make sense.
    I pay $1800/month for children the family court provided me with zero access to.
    This is because the children whom were aged 10 and over expressed wishes to not see me. I mean, why would they, when they hadn’t seen me for over a year and their financial position was secured by child support?
    Had child support been conditional I would have been of some value in their lives due to the financial bargaining position.
    NOTE about parental alienation : Everyone everywhere works out whose side to take in life in order to survive. eg the boss’s favorite is the workers favorite, the husband has to fit in with the husbands of the wife’s friends. Children are no different!

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      You’re right about losing bargaining power. Hard for a parent to pay for more parenting time when they are already paying top dollar. But there should normally still be some room for negotiation.

      Judges have a tendency to ignore the wishes of children precisely because kids can be manipulated.

  12. Tayla Brandon
    | Reply

    I have a question does my children’s father still have to pay childsupport this week even tho there with him for a week for holidays ??

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Yes – he still has to pay if you are in the child support system. Payments depend on ongoing care percentages. Might be a different story if it is a private arrangement.

  13. Robert
    | Reply

    I have a question or maybe two.
    First: I have reason to believe that the mother of my child has a side cash income from a home beauty business. Her taxable income is always perfectly just below the tax threshold and cost of living allowance that Child support have set in place. What can I do to bring it to the Child Supports attention and is there really any point for me to start this investigation.
    Secondly: My child is now old enough for work and has started a job. I’ve read that pretty much anything that she earns probably won’t change the amount I pay. But if her mother starts charging board as a living expense, would that classify as an assisted income to the mother to cover living expenses?

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Let it go. We’re talking about small amounts of money and you probably won’t be able to affect anything. What the mother does isn’t really your business.

  14. Kate Adamson
    | Reply

    Hi Andrew,

    As the payer of child support (though now a fairly nominal amount as I have 50% care of our children and earn only a little more than my ex), how would my payments be assessed by the CSA if I returned to full-time study?

    Would I still be assessed on the previous amount I was earning i.e. my earning ability?

    This is not a question about how do I reduce my CS payments – as I wish to study to ultimately be able to work longer to support our children.

    Rather, it is a viability question – am I able to have the choice to return to study (resulting in a reduced income for the duration of the masters) and not be assessed on previous earning ability?

    The option of further education will not be viable if I am assessed at previous levels whilst being a student and working part-time.

    Thank you

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Your return to study would be met with resistance if the other parent initiates a change of assessment and “wins” the review. The reviewer would have to believe that your decision to study was motivated, at least in part, by a desire to affect child support. You would probably lose the case just by saying that you need child support changed in order to be able to afford to study. So, don’t say that again.

      You’re right to be nervous about this.

  15. Caz
    | Reply

    Hi there,
    My ex pays a lousy $120 per month for 2 kids (8 and 14). My eldest is 17 and lives with him (I had moved away and he stayed with his dad). My ex refuses to pay half the school fees of the younger 2 which is about $4K. Since the eldest stayed with him, he has dropped out of school and is not looking for a job so does nothing. I have moved back to the same area and since the family home was hijacked by my ex who has now bought it during our settlement, I have a smaller place that the eldest doesn’t feel there is enough room. When I had all 3 children I was getting $1100 per month. How is there such a big discrepency and I have all the education expenses for the younger ones which are not considered with the eldest who was allowed to drop out of school underage?? I also buy food, take to medical appointments and clothe the eldest which isn’t considered either.

    I had 100% of care and CS has changed this as the ex changed the % without my approval as I had started letting the boys stay over. I was to pay him CS if you can believe it!! Our incomes aren’t that different considering I have 2 and he has 1 child (My income is $106K and his is $75K). How is this system so unfair?? I am ringing to ask for a full review as these figures just don’t seem to add up for me?!

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      You can check the figures using the calculator on this site.

      Your incomes are in a range where the higher earner gets ripped off. The formula is unrealistic and based on income sharing, which is why we’ve advocated for change.

  16. Lisa
    | Reply

    My ex husband assisted in looking after the children more during the period of remote learning during COVID. Ordinarily, I generally have them 75%, and the remaining 25% with him. Our CS amounts are based on the above percentages.
    Now he wishes to go back and amend the care percentages for that period as he feels he has been financially hard done by. Is this something he is able to change in retrospect through Child Support or am I best to just work it out based on the daily rate in the Child Support Assessment for that period and pay him back that way? (We have a private collect arrangement.)
    Many thanks for your advice.

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      You can’t change care levels retrospectively. Child Support need to be notified whenever there is a change in care levels and the change normally comes into effect on the date they are notified.

      Your ex may be surprised at how little the change in the care % would have affected child support, assuming you were still the majority carer. The formula was fiddled around with by lawyers when the scheme was designed and has some flat spots where changes in the care % don’t impact on payments much. Stupid formula.

  17. gina burgess
    | Reply

    Ok so my partner was paying 18 % of his pay to cs while working he recently lost his job and rang cs to inform them so he could reduce his rate while being out of work cs declined his application on the note that he had savings in his bank account this savings was from the same pays that he had already paid 18% to cs now he is being made to pay cs out of his savings account is this even legal and if so its very very wrong as he has already paid out from this money

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      You can just go online and submit a new income estimate any time. The estimate is for the whole financial year. Child support payments will be reduced automatically from the date the new estimate is lodged.

      Since he isn’t working, the income estimate will be quite low and the payments should be relatively small. They can come from savings or welfare benefits or anywhere he can get money from, including a tax refund after the 2020-21 tax return is lodged.

      Income changes affect assessments with a delay, which seems to be where your complaint is coming from. They aren’t unfair necessarily. Low income in one year carries through to assessments in the following year. He should go through a stage later, after getting a job, when he is paying less than what he should based on actual income.

  18. Doug
    | Reply

    My ex has halved her wage and opened a business. I am considering triggering a COA due to her earning capacity and business assets, ie she is cash poor but asset rich. I receive regular taxable income. I pay CS maximum, ie if her income now dropped to zero my payments would be the same. My only concern with doing a COA is can my personal assets force me to have to pay even more ? Would appreciate any advice you have.

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      I don’t believe Child Support generally know what to do with assets and, therefore, tend to ignore them. It’s part of the legislation and there to prevent wealthy people dodging child support. Frankly, I doubt either of you would be in danger of having assets used to affect an assessment. In her case, they are business assets which are being put to use. In your case, you are already paying at the maximum income assessment level.

  19. John
    | Reply


    First time to post here as I am at a loss as to where to go from here so any advice would be greatly appreciated.

    I have been paying child support for 7 years now at the rate of around $2k per month, during this time my daughter has been alienated from me to the point of her not staying over anymore so the care % her mother receives is 100%, hence the high amount, I have never missed a payment and also pay 1/2 for school fees etc, so that a bit of background.

    She was made redundant from her job 2 years ago which was involuntary (and I understand that the capacity to earn bit goes out the window in this case), since that time she has worked part time for her husbands business and her wage has halved so off course I have to pay more, I have argued this with CSA .

    Her income has gone from 90k to 50k to 9k in 12 months in the estimate and she now refuses that she works for her husbands business and CSA will not look into this although there is legislation which is on their website surrounding partner business etc.

    But my main issue is that now she has chosen to study full time and has submitted an earnings amount of $0.

    I have objected and CSA has refused my objection because they claim that as she was made redundant they have no control on capacity to earn, when I ask them why they are ignoring the work she had after redundancy they say that, they do not need to look at everything and I can object if I want.

    So basically she has gone from a senior role to being made redundant, then got a job in a different industry with lower pay now she has chosen to be a full time student and CSA are accepting this as my payments increase as a result to fund her choice to study. And CSA told me they are not looking into her work at her husbands business as they do not need to, even though there is proof she works there

    This is just next level stuff with CSA and I can not let this one go, I know that the process will now be to go through objections process but I know what the outcome will be.

    This surely can not be right? As if I chose not to work and study full time I am sure it will be a different story.

    Thanks in advance


    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      You must be able to (a) demonstrate that she was earning $50k but chose to reduce her income and (b) convince a review officer that her employment decision was partly motivated by a desire to affect child support. If you can do those things, you may be able to win in a Change of Assessment review. The fact that she was earning $90k is now largely irrelevant beyond perhaps being an indicator that she is intentionally suppressing her income.

  20. Mark Gordon
    | Reply

    My query is with regard to before and after school care costs. I previously have called Child Support and the first two people said that those costs should be deducted from any child support paid. The third person said it was on top of child support which seems extremely unfair. My ex received the bulk of the property settlement in the divorce on the arguement that she is and will be the primary care provider of our children. At the time I was experiencing alot of depression and anxiety over the breakup but have since taken on care of the kids two nights a week.
    I over paid last year as I was out of work for part of it but when I returned to work I asked CS for an assessment estimate based on my salary not last years estimate as it was lower as I wanted to do the right thing. I get really disheartened as even when I was out of work she called CS saying there was unpaid CS which there wasnt. This was corrected with CS but I’m now struggling again with her refusing to put the kids into before / after school care on the night that I have them. Ive tried to reasonably negotitate but it just gets heated and emotional and I feel disheartened again.

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Let’s try to simplify things. And try to forget the past.

      Whoever is responsible for the kids before or after school should be the one paying for any minding services. That is a personal spending / care decision that has nothing to do with child support or the other parent. What happens with the kids during their allocated time with you is your responsibility.

  21. Karl
    | Reply

    Hi Andrew,
    Currently have court orders in place along with an agreed CSA payment plan. This was put in place when the ex and kids moved interstate.
    At the end of 2019 school year i queried my ex and the schools as to why my son and daughter missed so much school. I also sat down with my kids to discuss it as well. Short answer 2020 started off better however has been no different come years end.
    I expected academically there would be a hit in my kids schooling due to the move. But did not expected it to be so drastic and continue for 2 years.
    Biggest issue has been attendance.

    As a paying father of child support and 50% of school fees is there anyway to motivate the ex in getting better results in attendance.
    I will be speaking with the schools again in the new year, however the ex does not acknowledge my thoughts and concerns.
    So is there a way through CSA (or Other) that i can pursue to grab my ex’s attention to perform better.

    I fully understand 100% attendance does not equate to A’s across all subjects. My son could not be graded on 4 subjects this year alone and my daughter has not been able to achieve better results in her 11/12 years at school ude to attendance.

    Thanks Karl

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Must be very frustrating to see your kids’ academic results suffer because of poor parenting.

      The simple answer is that managing school attendance and performance cannot be done through child support or school fee payments.

      You could pay for something to happen, such as offering to pay for a tutor. But you wouldn’t get any credit for it.

      You could also try to get time with the kids. Don’t know the history here and it would require you to move close to their school(s).

  22. Michelle
    | Reply

    My sister got pregnant to a guy who is married with two children. Which she didn’t know at the time he was still with his wife as he claims they are separated. My sister gave birth on July and the father ghosted her halfway during pregnancy, left her to buy and prep everything for the baby. When the baby came out he started denying it’s his daughter and wanted a DNA, we were happy to do but he kept making excuses on getting it done and delaying the process. My sister is now trying to apply for CSA but the father is now making excuses again (ie;he doesn’t earn that much, threatens to quit his job if he pays CSA, his wife will find out and make him quit his job as he claims his wife earns $250k and can afford to support him, etc.) and now trying to win over my sister once again and says he doesn’t want DNA anymore as he can see the resemblance with him from photos and just want to sort things out and just give her cash however much he can instead of going through CSA. I guess my main question here is if my sister applies for CSA 5 months after the baby was born while the father never contributed anything to the cost til this day and has never made efforts to see the baby, will she be able to get back pay from all the costs of pregnancy and when the baby was born? Should my sister sort it out his way and accept what ever this guy is willing to give or should she make it more legal and apply CSA? He also threatens to claim custody or 50/50 care if we apply for CSA. Will the father then have rights to claim custody and take 50/50 care for the baby if we claim CSA? We don’t want that to happen, we want 100% care. Any advise would be much appreciated. Thank you

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Child support is assessed from the time an application is first made.

      I know you say that “we want 100% care”. But I bet the baby wouldn’t want that if she could speak for herself. A child has a right to know and be with both parents. Frankly, I’m appalled. Children without contact with their biological father do worse on just about every measure of welfare and development that’s been measured. You and your sister need to pull your heads in and stop believing that the baby will do great without her father. You are wrong.

  23. Rich
    | Reply

    My partner has 38% time with the children but has Equal Shared Responsibility. The father is on $120k and my partner on $70k. He is currently paying my partner CSA but we expect this to change next year as it was last year when she was paying him.

    We have just had final orders to agree the time she can spend with the children which wasn’t ideal but we are still left to settle who pays for what.

    The father who is paying CSA but has 62% of the time is saying that because my partner is receiving CSA from him that she should be paying the costs for School Fees (public school not private) etc.

    That can’t be correct can it. Surely the payment is just meant to equalize the costs according to salary and time and then costs are split 50/50.

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      This is squabbling over not much money I presume.

      You probably need to split the school fees 50:50 just to have a workable solution. She could pay half and direct the school to the father for the rest.

      But you’re right. Both parents are meant to pay for stuff. Usually, the person with more care time ends up paying for more things.

  24. Gabrielle Dingle
    | Reply

    I have a question for you. I
    I’m writing from New Jersey in the USA. My ex-husband, an Australian citizen owes $100,000 in child support. CSA has located him and I have received child support since May 2019.
    I see ( on Facebook), that my ex has quit his job, and is doing carpentry jobs advertised on his Facebook page.
    Obviously, he is up to his old tricks.
    How can I continue to collect? What are my options.
    Thank you.

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Change of Assessment, Reason 8 – Earning Capacity

  25. Stacy Leitch
    | Reply

    Well it’s officical. CSA have made their ruling and we are expected to continue to pay child support (for my step son who is living with us)to his mother, due to a consent order that is 10 years old and was not being followed by the other party or CSA for that matter as we have been paying 100% care of the 2 older children for the last 4 years. (We have 40% care according to the consent order). I really can’t understand how it is not seen as breaking the law to make a claim for family payment and CSA for a child you do not have and do not want. No Idea what we are supposed to do?

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      You could appeal. The merit of your case depends on the words of the consent order. Normally, child support is based on actual care levels and all else is ignored. If your consent order was only concerned with care percentages and not child support specifically, you might have a strong case. You would merely have to provide convincing evidence that the actual care percentage is what it is.

      If you haven’t appealed before in any way, the first review is just by a reviewer with the Dept of Social Services. Next step is the Administrative Appeals Tribunal.

  26. Andrew
    | Reply

    I am currently in a private agreement with my ex regarding child support for my two children i recently learned i have been paying more then required after my financial situation changed negotiating down to near the assessed amount was stressful i am considering switching to csa collect agreement but i am very anxious about the emotional fallout as ive been asked to account for every dollar in reduction by my ex what is in involved in going to a csa agreement

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      Please be kind to readers when writing in the future and include full stops to mark the end of sentences.

      If you have an informal private agreement, you can simply stop paying. It will be up to the other parent to apply for child support, which is not difficult.

      No negotiation is required as far as payment amounts go. Child Support uses a formula. But parents still need to work out between themselves who pays for what expenses.

  27. Cristika
    | Reply

    My fmr husband refuses to get a permanent job (he didn’t get one while we were together, actually turned them down, because he didn’t want me to “live” off him, but was fine living off me, so he could be a perpetual uni student and play dungeons and dragons, while I did HDR studies, worked, took care of kids, took care of house, took care of him, listened to MIL say that I ruined his life by ‘getting’ pregnant). Due to changes in circumstances, I didn’t get to finish PhD and needed to go on disability and had PTSD and he’s not letting me see the kids and lost my PT ICT job. I’m forced on DSP, he brags about all the degrees he has and how intelligent he is and will not get a permanent job because the local jobs are beneath him (TAFE’s for losers, apparently) and his GF has FT job (did you know someone can both brag and complain that they don’t get Centrelink in the same single sentence). He refuses to get a job and is alienating me from kids (GF will leave him if he “forces” the kids to spend time with me). He’s also applied for child support for kids no longer in his care (wtf?) as they’ve left home. Can I get liability reduced to zero (I can’t afford it and he refuses to get a job). For ten years ($6000), I didn’t collect the child support from him (because I didn’t need it but was legally required to apply, so private ‘collection’).
    I’d like to be able to pay child support, because my kids deserve it, and was paying x2 until I lost casual job, and I just can’t afford to anymore

    TL-DR: I’m on DSP, ex REFUSES to get a job. How can I pay $0?

    TL:DR – Ex refuses to get a job and I’m on DSP. How to pay $0

    • Andrew Lancaster (admin)
      | Reply

      I gather from your rambling question that you’re being asked to pay a small of child support but you don’t want to. Well, too bad. You can’t get out of it.

      You should instead focus on improving your life and being the best person you can – for the sake of your children and yourself.

Leave a Reply to Andrew Lancaster (admin) Cancel reply

Your comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *